Thursday, April 2, 2015

Digging Dig

I’ve always enjoyed watching TV shows and movies filmed in places I’ve lived. It’s fun driving by locations to see the shooting or recognizing a place that is familiar. My first experience was in the early to mid 1960’s. I was 7 or 8 and my parents took me to see the location they were filming 77 Sunset Strip (or was it Route 66?) They were filming on Mayfield Road in Cleveland where the I-271 on-ramp was being built. We watched the show as a family each week waiting for that one scene and sat on the couch pointing and yelling “look look!”

Living in Anchorage while Northern Exposure aired we were able to play the game “What did they get wrong? In Buffalo we would go to quirky movies made there, including Bruce Almighty to see the places we knew. Now Albuquerque has given me more opportunities to experience the excitement of recognition. Even before we arrived in Albuquerque we were devoted fans of In Plain Sight. I am embarrassed to say we never got into Breaking Bad but now watch Better Call Saul every week.

But most of all there is Dig.

For those who are not familiar with the show, you can check this link: Dig. For me, watching Dig is a combination of watching Northern Exposure and that 1960’s TV show. Conversation here centers on questions about the accuracy of the Jewish references and spotting the places in New Mexico they filmed.

BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE!!!!!!!!

Because of a connection through one of my Rabbinic colleagues, the crew came to Congregation Albert and asked to borrow Judaica they could use for props. They borrowed framed artwork, a miniature Torah, and a large menorah among other things. As a scene plays and I see the items from Congregation Albert, I feel like I did all those years ago. 




As a thank you from the show, they gave us a giant (yes, giant) menorah they created from a 3D printer! My geeky tech side merges with my nerdy TV side every time I see it in the lobby.


It’s good to feel like a kid again!

1 comment: